A writer who loves fantasy, avoids reality, and who knows the value of hanging a death skull outside my door to ward off uninvited visitors.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Getting Back Up Is the Hardest Part About Falling Down

Okay so, I just queried Ethan Ellenberg, of the Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency. They are, without a doubt, top notch! Fingers crossed. I know I said I was done with this process, but the truth is, I want it. I want it so badly I can taste it. I want my book to fall into the right hands. I want readers to fall in love with my characters, my stories, all of it. I just feel this is the right thing to do for me...going the traditional route. Who knows. Maybe one day I'll look back and wonder, but for now, it's what I have to do. I don't want to live my life under that proverbial question mark. The one that will haunt me with the eternal mystery of what would have happened had I not taken this step.

Truth be told, it's taken me a long time to be able to do this again. Query agents. Those of you who know what happened to me and numerous other authors at the hands of one unscrupulous b*****d, know that those types of scars can leave a lasting impression on one's confidence. Well, mine was damaged to no end. I suddenly found myself beat down, and frankly, I hated feeling that way. I hate the idea that that loser took us all for such a horrible ride. I hate that it's taken me so long to get back up. But I'm here. I'm up again, and honestly, I will NEVER let anyone beat me down like that again.

So for now, I'm back on track. Doing what needs to be done to realize my dream as an author. Anyone else who feels the same, I congratulate you, my friend.

I'll post updates as to what happens with the query to Ethan Ellenberg.

4 comments:

  1. Hey sis, I understand where your coming from, being a victim myself. A four book deal with movie option and they just took it and ran. All you can do is keep going. That's what I did and eventually I have three different houses who actually ask for my work. I'm proud of you for not giving up. Your stuff needs to be seen, your talent is amazing! I wish I could write as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Thom. That means so much to me. Thank you so much for your support and endearing friendship. You are honestly one of the kindest, most special people I've met along the road here. Never forget that. As for your own success, I couldn't be happier for you. You deserve every ounce of it, my dear friend. I'm sorry for what happened to you, but it's their loss, believe me. As I always say. Karma's a fickle and prickly b***h.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got scammed by an "agent" who is still being charged with new crimes in New York State--and this was about 18 years ago. I was just 21 or so at the time, didn't know any better, and got suckered in by this woman who I gave about $400 to, which to a 21 year old is a fortune. Anyway, she said she sent my novel to publishers, and she mailed a rejection to me--all made up. She even sent me a Christmas card. Finally the one-year contract ran out. The money lost wasn't the worst part of it. I thought that an actual agent couldn't sell my writing, so my writing must suck, and so why am I doing it, slaving over stories and novels? So I didn't write at all for about nine years. Worst mistake of my life, and that's saying a lot. I feel like I'm hitting my stride now; if I'd felt like this nine years ago, I feel I could be a published novelist by now, and who knows what my life would be like? Scammers take more than just money from their victims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very true. Scammers are scum. Back when I started the querying process, being the newbie that I was to the whole scene, I researched everything I could. One of the first things I found was that legitimate agents never charge a penny. But, that's neither here nor there. You live and you learn. In the end, all your hard work will pay off. I always try to find the silver lining. Cliche, I know, but true nonetheless. So we move on to bigger and better things. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete