A writer who loves fantasy, avoids reality, and who knows the value of hanging a death skull outside my door to ward off uninvited visitors.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Gender Wars

You know, my hubby and I were talking today about relationships and the general gender differences. In this day and age, why is that men and women still feel the need to feed into stereotypical gender wars?

We see it everyday.



Men: "Come on, Dude. You can't let a girl beat you."

Women: "Yeah. Girl Power."

Women who don't like sports go for guys who do, and then they complain about how the guy's obsessed with the very thing she knew about from the get-go. And men; they like women who take care of themselves, and yet, when their girlfriend or wife gets her hair done or goes shopping, the men complain, claiming the woman's obsessed with her to-do's. I can go on and on about the various ways men and women can nip at each other, but right now, I'm more interested in what you think about the whole thing.

1. So, where do you stand on the Gender Games?
2. What do you think is the biggest difference between men and women?
3. What would you change about either, if you could?
4. In terms of individual aspects, what do like most (or don't like) about the opposite sex?

I'm dying to see how people answer this.

3 comments:

  1. Not a big believer in gender stereotypes. I want to do most of the supporting, paying for dinners, driving, etc. But sometimes I have no problem at all with my better half picking up these things and letting me relax. I liked Fannie Flagg's book, Fried Green Tomatoes. I like female authors. I think women are overall stronger, smarter and more mature than guys. Women have the periods and the pregnancies for a reason--because they can handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, my hubby is the same way. He sees people as people, not as players trapped in a role-locked game. He does, however, love pointing out--as I do--the differences between our genders, only because it's so funny. Like women; they do the weirdest things sometimes. And men; they're the general embodiment of Peter Pan, in some ways; they love their cars, guns, explosions and play time (sports, action flicks and fast cars). Personally, I love those things too. Well, except for the sports. Love to play, hate to watch. Anyway, thanks for throwing your two-cents in, Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, C.L. Anytime. Good posts. Interesting and easy to respond to.

      Delete